So its the second Knitter Knatter and this does still feel a bit weird, I don’t normally write about knitting… Not like this anyway. So I put down the spiral knit blanket for a while for a break and have been back at it working on the cable knit jumper from hell! I think I originally found this pattern a few years ago in a library book, god knows which one, so I was cheeky and made a copy of the pattern so I could give it a go… Sure I’ve written on my notes…
It helps to write on notes but to also make yourself a cheat sheet, especially with a cable knit to see how you are doing and where you are in the pattern, especially when parts of it have to match up… I used a cheap red and blue biro to be able to work everything out and be able to spot it easily.
I found a curved cable needle much easier than a regular straight cable needle easier. The cable pattern is done over 25 stitches so it is a bit of a mission to get perfect and its a repeating 14 row pattern at that.
This is the front panel and it has the extended collar pattern which means that stitch holders were my best friends in this instance. But It came out pretty well, though its very “boxy” looking.
The back panel is also very boxy looking. I think that the front and back panels must have taken months each to complete, as the pattern goes on and on it feels a little relentless. But at the same time I think it got quite heavy to hold, making the 14 row repeating pattern sort of useful. By doing 14 rows in each attempt at this pattern it gave a sort of relief, because at the end of those 14 rows you were ready for a break and to put it down for a while.
As you can see even the arm holes feel very straight boxed so hopefully it will knit in with the sleeves ok… But I am a long way off finding that out… I am using Poundland wool yet again in “grey” which is a nice light grey colour.
This is the start of the sleeve. I use old straggles of bright wool made into loops to mark my stitches and the edges of each pattern, for the grey I use a bright blue colour to contrast it. So as you can see the start of the sleeve took a little establishing in the pattern and now it looks like this…